Thursday, November 3, 2011

MY SPECIAL PLACE

My first trip to Maui was in 1979.  I was 8 years old.  My parents, my Nana and my sister traveled to Oahu for my dad to teach a course at the University of Hawaii, then we traveled to Maui for an additional week.  I don't remember much about that trip, but my parents fell in love with Maui.  We returned in 1985 to celebrate my sister's high school graduation.  My parents then invested in a condo in Kihei Town and we returned every year until my mother sold in 2000.

Every visit I make to Maui I am remember the fun that was had during my visits with family and many friends...
  • 1986 Shannon and I visited July.  The winds were strong and a screen flew off of the 3rd story and hit me in the head.  A hot ash landed in my eye on the 4th of July after my dad encouraged me to roll down the window of the car to get a better view of the fireworks.  We took a catamoran to Molokini snorkeling and the waves were pretty big.  I "fed the fish" the entire trip.  (which means vomited)
  •   1987 with Stephanie.  We swam in every pool on the way to Hana.  We had drinks with my parents and went night swimming every night.  We learned never to over indulge on the blackened fish dishes.  Poor Stephanie paid the price for that.  Lots of laughter and good times had.  Steph is still a great friend to be around.
  • 1988 with Terry.  Boy did we have fun.  Because Terry was used to flying by herself as a kid and I was in Maui for a month with parents, Terry came for part of the trip.  She had to teach me the song girl routine for cheerleading camp so that I would be caught up when I returned home.  We met some cool wind surfers from South Africa which we thought was totally awesome.  
  • 1989 with Kerry after high school graduation.  Of course we met some more boys.  That year is was all about how tan we could get.  Kerry won, of course.
  • in the 90's I visited Maui with my college boyfriend, my college roommate and spent a summer with a group of my sorority sisters working summer jobs.  We had so much!!!  That was when I learned about being a Kaimaina (local).  We worked in the evenings and partied all night long.  We would cure our hang overs in the sun by the pool or at the beach.  We met so many people.  It was a summer never to forget.  
  • 1998 Doug and I were married on March 30 in Waliea.  We had 15 people in attendance.  It was a dream come true.  Love you, Dougie.
  • 1999 we returned with our mothers.  It was a nice trip, but not the same without my dad.
  • On 10-10-10 Steve and I exchanged vows of love and promise in Kapalua.  Danielle and Ray were present.  It was the first time I had been away from both of children for such a long time period.  It was nice to have time with only Steve.  Something we have come to cherish in our relationship.
    Maui is my special place.  I feel peace, joy and love when I am there.  I hope to someday make it my permanent place of residence.  I hope you have a special place where you can 

    LIVE LIFE OUT LOUD.  
    MAUI NO KA OI! 
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment