Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tater Chips

Many months ago I wrote about my dear friend, Mayonnaise. I had more comments about how many of you enjoy my thoughts. You may not have agreed to loving mayo, but you supported my enthusiasm nonetheless. So I have decided to share my family's love of chips. Potato chips to be exact. One of Doug's nicknames was "Tater". He could eat a bag of Lay's Original Potato Chips in about 2 minutes flat. His best friend, Mark Russell, was called "Scoop" for his efforts in scooping salsa, onion dip or any substance that could be "scooped" up on to a chip. So Scoop, this one is for you.
My sweet little boys just love chips. Parker started at an early age with tortilla chips. Since I love Mexican food these are also the chips that Brady started his chip eating. Now we all have our favorite kinds. I love Twisted BBQ Fritos, Guacamole tortilla chips, Ruffles, Cheetos. Parker loves Salt and Vinegar, Funyons, BBQ potato chips. Brady likes Crunchy Cheetos, plain Lays and like his Uncle Mark, any type of dip; bean, salsa, ranch.
I want to know why we crave chips. They please us in so many ways. I have to eat chips when I have Subway. Chips and salsa are a food group for me. Kids adore them. Ever been to a cookout without them? I bet not.

Did you know:

  • That the chip was invented by a Native American (shout out to my Indian friends) who was a cook at a lodge in NY.
  • They were sold in bins in grocery stores first, then in a bag.
  • Lay's was started in 1932.
  • The potato chip industry is a $6 billion business

Visit http://www.catalogs.com/info/history/history-of-the-potato-chip.html for my information about my beloved tater chip.

Eat chips while you Live Life Out Loud. Happy Crunching!

1 comment:

  1. This explains it all- why we are soul friends... I can just see all those bags of chips in the upstairs kitchen in "The House" and remember many good days. Don't see you enough, NEED to see you soon! XO- Went

    ReplyDelete